The Indianapolis Colts have been hoping that Reggie Wayne would receive some preseason action, but they are unsure at this point in time if he will play on Saturday against the New Orleans Saints. Head coach Chuck Pagano is holding Wayne out for precautionary reasons, but Wayne has made it clear that he is ready to get back onto the field whenever the Colts allow him. Indianapolis fans are hoping to see him on the field Saturday night, and there is still a good chance that he does make his debut.
Here are some quotes from Colts’ head coach Pagano.
“There’s a possibility. We’re managing that thing and keeping a close eye on him. From a physical standpoint, (we) make sure there’s not too much wear and tear on that knee early on and coming back and all those things. We’re going to monitor him this week and see how he goes. If things go according to plan, there’s a possibility there, but again, we’ll make sure he’s ready for action.”
Wayne also made his thoughts on the situation known to the media.
“I feel good. If I do get called, I’ll be ready. If not, then hopefully the following week.”
Playing in preseason action would be very important for Wayne, and it would help him get back into the flow of football. He will still be able to perform at a high level even without playing in the preseason, but it would still help him get his confidence up by seeing game action. The Colts are playing it smart by being cautious with his knee, but he will have to get back out on the field at some point in the near future.
It appears that Wayne feels comfortable and healthy at this point time, and the medical and coaching staff need to give him the permission to play this week. While they don’t want to take a chance, he has been participating in practice fully and has actually been impressing as well. That being said, the final call is always up to the coaching staff, and it appears that they are still nervous about putting him on the field.
Don’t be surprised to see Wayne out there on Saturday night, but there’s also a good chance that the Colts hold him back for at least one more week. It would be in Wayne’s best interests to get back out on the field and adjusted to NFL speed and hits once again, but it’s understandable that there are concerns about him being out there. The Colts have a big decision to make, and it will be interesting to see what they decide.