Cuts are right around the corner in the NFL, and the Colts are going to have to narrow down their active roster to just 53 players.
Let’s take a look at who the Colts are going to keep at each position and who probably won’t make the team:
Quarterback (2): Andrew Luck, Matt Hasselbeck
Running Back (4): Trent Richardson, Ahmad Bradshaw, Dan Herron, Zurlon Tipton
Fullback (1): Mario Harvey
Wide Receiver (6): Reggie Wayne, T.Y. Hilton, Hakeem Nicks, Donte Moncrief, Griff Whalen, Da’Rick Rogers
Tight End (3): Dwayne Allen, Coby Fleener, Jack Doyle
Offensive Tackle (2): Gosder Cherilus, Anthony Castonzo
Offensive Guard (3): Jack Mewhort, Hugh Thornton, Lance Louis
Center (2): Khaled Holmes, Jonotthan Harrison
O-Line Depth (2): Xavier Nixon, Joe Reitz
Defensive End (3): Cory Redding, Arthur Jones, Ricky Jean-Francois
Nose Tackle (2): Josh Chapman, Montori Hughes
Outside Linebacker (4): Robert Mathis (after suspension), Erik Walden, Bjoern Werner, Jonathan Newsome
Inside Linebacker (6): D’Qwell Jackson, Jerrell Freeman, Henoc Muamba, Andy Studebaker, Josh McNary, Andrew Jackson
Cornerback (5): Vontae Davis, Darius Butler, Greg Toler, Gosh Gordy, Louchiez Purifoy
Safety (5): LaRon Landry, Mike Adams, Sergio Brown, Colt Anderson, Dewey McDonald
A few notes on the predictions:
- Zurlon Tipton makes the team despite a fairly mediocre preseason performance due to the uncertainty at running back. He may be specifically a special teams player but may see time if Richardson under-performs or Bradshaw gets hurt.
- Harvey has been making strides at fullback, and Stanley Havili‘s shoulder is a huge concern; he gets cut after spending the preseason on PUP.
- Both Whalen and Rogers make the roster after solid preseason performances by both.
- Preseason darling Zach Kerr doesn’t make the team in favor of Montori Hughes solid performances and experience. Kerr is a hot candidate to make the practice squad for depth if something happens to Chapman.
- Cutting Cam Johnson was the hardest to do, but the outside linebacker core is solid without him. He may stay on the roster for Mathis as he serves his four-game suspension.
- Louchiez Purifoy makes the cut after a solid preseason so far with Indy. He could be a key special teams player as he develops at cornerback.
Initial roster cuts start next Tuesday down to 75 men and narrows down further to 53 just four days after.
Tags: Indianapolis Colts